Saturday, February 18, 2012

Green in the Face



As I return to the USA after about 15 months, it seems to be a very different place. The moment I landed in Chicago, the first thing that caught my attention were large banners advocating a more sustainable lifestyle. It included the recycle bins which were everywhere in all shapes and sizes including my hotel room. The common trouble however with multiple bins is where to throw what. Our garbage is more complex than the set of three bins and it is impossible to segregate it under 'paper', 'plastic' or 'cans'. For example, this morning, I was carrying my breakfast in a brown bag (100% recycled) from Starbucks for breakfast. When I wanted to throw it, its waste contents included paper wrappers, a plastic knife, plastic cap and few food leftovers. Now the question was, how do i throw it in the three bins. Segregating was a task and top of that I was'nt sure where to put the food, where to put the paper wrapper lined with plastic film and can an already recycled bag be re-recycled. Do I need to separate out the stuff? While these questions did rounds in my mind, i came across anpther interesting bin at Chicago O'hare. This time it came with a compartment to throw any liquid waste separately.

Then there were big posters everywhere, in buildings, taxis, trains and buses suggesting a greener lifestyle. While in Chicago, I saw a transit center with park and ride facility that had two zipcars which were parked closest to the bus stop. At Boston Logan there was even a choice between a gas or a hybrid taxi. I also saw number of bicycles parked on train stations in chicago in months when it wasn't particularly warm and had been raining often. During the conference, I learnt that bike lane program in NYC has seen an increase in ridership by 3-4% in a short time of less than a year.

And this green movement extended all the way to my hotel room. It felt like every action by me was under observation. The hotel came with all amenities but made one think twice before splurging. It had two showers of which one was turned off, but then it's only in USA that a bathroom has two showers next to each other. I could get $5 coupons for each day I would reduce room cleaning service.

It's all good because soon the worst environmental performers in the world wont have any place to escape but to give in.

No comments:

Post a Comment